I put a new box of frames on the hive about two weeks ago. I cut the foundation into thin strips and put them in the frames to get the bees started — some were very thin — 4″ x 2″, some were squares that touched the top and bottom of the frame. I’m experimenting. They don’t seem to need much to get started. After 12 days, the bees had made lots of comb and were filling it with honey. I was surprised that they had made so much progress! I checked the brood nest and it looked very full, so I think I’ll be adding another box to the hive this week. I had to scrape off a bit of comb to check the frames and got to taste the honey and It was light and slightly lemony.
For my next box, I’m going to use wooden strips dipped in beeswax for at least half of the frames and see how that goes. I want to go completely foundation-less if I can. We’ll see how those frames develop. Here are a few photos: